The words Smashbox and primers are synonymous with each other. Smashbox make some bloody brilliant products, but they do primers well, award-winningly well. With such a large offering, it can be tricky to work out which primer is best for you. So, I’ve put together a guide highlighting the key factors with each primer, and which skin types I think they are best suited for.
The OG. The one that started it all.
SmashBox’s Photo Finish Foundation Primer is your no BS, all in one basic primer.
- Clear gel-like formula that feels like velvet on the skin
- Creates a smooth base for foundation
- Blurs pores and fine lines
Best for – Most skin types (it does have a silicone feel), but probably not the best choice for oily skinned gals as it doesn’t keep oils at bay. Great for everyday wear to create a barrier between the skin and foundation.
Also available with SPF20
As you’d expect from the name, this primer stick is marketed towards oily babes.
- Super easy to apply
- Glides on the skin
- Prevents oil and shine
- Extends the longevity of your foundation
- Can also be used on top of makeup to control shine
Best for – Oily or combo skin types. This stick works really well for multi-priming, spread over the t-zone. If you want something luminous and glowy, steer away from this one.
One of Smashbox’s newest and most innovative primers. This little baby is a moisturiser/primer hybrid.
- Non-greasy and fast absorbing
- 24-hour hydration
- Demi-matte finish, but still controls oils
- Can be used in lieu of moisturiser
Best for – All skin types. Great all rounder that hydrates without making skin oily while still controlling shine throughout the day. Gives the skin a gorgeous healthy looking finish. It won’t, however, give you a true matte finish, if that is what you are after.
This primer is based on Smashbox’s original Foundation Primer but with the added bonus of radiance.
- Blurs imperfections
- Contains added hyaluronic Acid and Shea Butter for Hydration
- Smooths skin
Best for – Babes looking for a little more luminosity. Great from a boost of hydration if your skin is feeling a little dry. Also works well under a matte foundation to make your skin look glowy, while still preventing the dreaded shine-factor.
Another primer that is built from the Foundation Primer, but this one promises to disguise uneven skin tone and redness.
- Addresses redness and uneven skin tones
- Smooths skin
- Contains antioxidants and vitamin to nourish the skin
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines
Best for – Red-faces and gals with an uneven skin tone. Same as the original, probably not the best for super oily babes,
This baby again is your OG Foundation Primer, but with the added benefits of diminishing the appearance of those pesky little pores.
- Visibly reduces the appearance of pores
- Keeps skin shine free
- Sweat and humidity resistant
- Flawless, smooth finish
Best for – Oily babes, this little purple guy is for you. Instantly disguising pores and mattifies while keeping you matte all day. Not great on dry/flaky skin.
This is such an innovative product, allowing you to prime in a flash!
- Suuuuuper lightweight
- Very versatile
- Refreshes and hydrates tired skin
- Can also be used as a setting spray
Best for – Busy babes that need to apply makeup in a pinch. It is a great handbag addition to refresh your complexion through the day. The lightweight formula works well for oily skin, but may not be hydrating enough for dry skin types.
The Primer Water is also available in 3 fun new fragrances –
- So-Chill Coconut ($46) – Sweet coconut and vanilla fragrance for refreshing the complexion
- Serene Greens ($46) – Fresh cucumber and melon scent which calms and hydrates
- Centering Citrus ($46) – Orange and Grapefruit fragrance for dull dry skin
A heavy duty hydrating primer for dry skin.
- Contains 15 oils to nourish the skin
- Creates a youthful, dewy base
- Adds radiance
- Also works as a skincare product
Best for – No surprises here but if you’re oily you probably don’t wanna drench your skin in oil before makeup application. Absolutely ideal for dry skin types or normal babes who want a big dose of hydration and dew.
A weightless version of the original targeted more towards oily skin
- Extends the wear time of makeup
- Disguises the look of imperfections
- Aqua based
Best for – All skin types that want a no BS primer that smooths and increases the longevity of makeup
This primer is best for counteracting darkness and uneven skin tone.
- Used for addressing dark patches and sallow skin
- Brightens the skin without luminosity
- Creates a smooth base
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines
Best for – All skin types but great for mature skin, that need brightening, hydrating and disguising fine lines and wrinkles.
I find that you can also mix and match these primers to multi-prime by addressing different concerns in one go without any balling up under foundation.
All of the Smashbox range is available at Mecca Maxima.
(Just a note – Unlike most of my other blog posts, I haven’t personally rigorously trialed all of these primers. Whilst I have used some, this guide is based on reviews and product information provided by Smashbox, in addition to personal experience)
*DISCLAIMER – Although these products were provided for my consideration, all views and opinions are 100% honest and my own. No sponsorship or money has been provided for my review. All discount codes are not affiliated unless specifically stated. All opinions are based purely on my own experiences. I try my hardest to provide my readers with accurate information, but I am not by any means a professional, nor am I an expert. Please do not confuse my opinions with professional advice.